The following are original research and review articles I published in peer-reviewed journals during my doctoral training in the laboratory of Edwin McCleskey, PhD, at the Vollum Institute at Oregon Health & Science University. (Some papers were published under my maiden name, Stephani Eckert.)
- Toward an understanding of the molecules that sense myocardial ischemia. Benson CJ, Sutherland SP. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2001 Jun; 940:96-109. Review.
- Acid-sensing ion channel 3 matches the acid-gated current in cardiac ischemia-sensing neurons. Sutherland SP, Benson CJ, Adelman JP, McCleskey EW. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2001 Jan 16; 98(2):711-6. Epub 2000 Dec 19.
- Chemical mediators of pain due to tissue damage and ischemia. Sutherland SP, Cook SP, McCleskey EW. Prog Brain Res. 2000;129:21-38. Review.
- Acid-evoked currents in cardiac sensory neurons: A possible mediator of myocardial ischemic sensation. Benson CJ, Eckert SP, McCleskey EW. Circ Res. 1999 Apr 30;84(8):921-8.
Rap1 mediates sustained MAP kinase activation induced by nerve growth factor. York RD, Yao H, Dillon T, Ellig CL, Eckert SP, McCleskey EW, Stork PJ. Nature. 1998 Apr 9;392(6676):622-6.
- Isolation and culture of rat sensory neurons having distinct sensory modalities. Eckert SP, Taddese A, McCleskey EW. J Neurosci Methods. 1997 Dec 1;77(2):183-90. Erratum in: J Neurosci Methods 1998 Dec 31;86(1):101.